Monday, March 24, 2008

PAINFUL TRIBULATION FROM MY YOUTH

TESTIMONY CONTINUED

There has been many a time when sharing scriptural truths. People will contest, and debate with you over the veracity of that which is being shared....But there is one thing that cannot be contested...
Our very own personal experiences. Our Testimony is the one thing that is our own....And also the one thing that our Father desires for us to give away as many times as we have opportunity
We read of it in the scriptures, "...I will tell what great and mighty things He hath done..."
We sing about it in Hymns and Choruses, "...JESUS, JESUS, JEEEEEESUS, Let all heaven and earth PROCLAIMMMMM..."

And we read about in Blogs,

So I will continue with the story of a miserable blind wretch, that deserved all the judgement, and punishment that God and man has ever devised...
But,..." Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me..."


PROLOGUE = That which has gone before.

A brief recap of an earlier discussion:

God brought true REVIVAL to that little church that day.
I was on fire for the Lord, and began to bring everyone I could, to that same loving Savior, that so willingly, and freely accepted a poor & miserable wretch like me.
The change in me was so drastic... my conversion experience, was so dramatic, it was infectious, and so contagious,
... that just about everyone that was in the realm of my influence, wanted what I had found. That tiny Church, Baptized more new converts that year, than they ever had in their history.
Six months later, I surrendered to Gods call on my life to Preach the Gospel,...
and Texas Avenue Baptist Church, Pastor Roberts, the deacons, elders & the members of that church examined me, and extended to me, a license to preach and practice the Gospel Ministry of The Lord Jesus.
And you will have to follow my Blogs to get the rest of the story

"THE REST OF THE STORY"
( At least a few more chapters...)

Let me back up a little bit and share with you how God's Spirit had been working in my life all of my life to get me to that point to where I was so, so ready to recognize that on that day...Sunday...April 12, 1981...
"That I was lost, and on the verge of busting Hell wide open, Unless I answered Yes, to His love and his design for my life.

Prior to leaving Michigan for the oilfields of Louisiana...God had been speaking to me through so many people, as well as the many close calls that I had with disaster and destruction. I should have been killed and died so many times that I'm sure my Guardian Angel was in need of a very well deserved vacation by the time I wised up and realized that I was at a place in my life where I had to make a decision one way or the other!
That day when I said YES TO JESUS....and ...NO TO SATAN,
I heard God say to me in a very real way..."Choose Me and Live" or "Reject Me for the last time and Die... FOREVER!"

Do you Remember the story when I was 14 years young and I was befriended by a Pedophile?
I remember it as plain as day. Our family had left the house that morning and walked down the hill several blocks to watch the Memorial Day Parade. I had wandered away from the rest of the family and was standing on the curb by myself when a young black man walked up beside me and began to make small talk with me. He seemed like a very cool guy, and as the conversation progressed I found that we had some things in common, especially when he offered to smoke a joint with me. Wow, this guy really is cool...And the rest is history as they say.

It wasn't long until I introduced him to my very cool parents and invited him over to sit down and smoke some Pot with us, and before Long he became a family friend. I should have realized that something was seriously wrong when soon after we met, the man that I knew as Mark Nathan was really in Fact, Nate Cunningham. As it turned out, many of the older guys I hung out with from time to time already knew him and I suspect that many of them had already fell victim to his sick strategy,
and were too ashamed to say anything to expose him, because in doing so,
they would run the risk of being labeled as a queer,... and besides that, Nate always had the best drugs, and plenty of cash for beer, liquor etc.
He also had a car, and an apartment, a really cool car, and a really cool apartment.
Nate was really good at what he did, and he was very well connected. I knew him for almost two years, and in that two years time I remember some of the parties he threw and some very prominent people would roll through. I mean, how cool was it to be able to get high with some of your school teachers and administrators, coaches and sports figures around town, even some affluent business people.
Nate had won the trust of my parents and I was allowed to go just about anywhere with him when he invited me. If my parents were resistant he would usually prime the pump with some Primo smoke or some tabs of acid, mescaline, a few lines of coke.
Nate had a way of getting what he wanted.

These are some things that I have never shared with anyone before.

And now as I look back...I am amazed that he was able to pull these things off undetected.
I feel so bad that I introduced him to so many of my friends, and I know in my heart of hearts that they also fell victim to his sick molestations. Some of them told me so... but not in any detail, They would say things like, "Is Nate still Queer?

In those two short years, Nate introduced me to many first time experiences, He took me to my first outdoor Woodstock type rock festival at Watkins Glen New York. The Greatful Dead, The Allman Brothers, The Band...I was 14 yrs. old and there I was in the midst of over 600,000 people a thousand miles from home, alone with a very crafty Pedophile in an orgy of drunken, stoned, naked mass of hedonistic, decadence. I thought then that it was the coolest thing I had ever done. After all, I had missed Woodstock and this had to have been the next best thing!!!
In defense of Mom & Pops, they did say no to me going, but we invented a good cover story and snuck off anyways.
While at the concert, I was amazed at how free and open everything was, People were naked and having Sex out in the open, That was very eye popping and cool to a 14 year old boy, seeing all those Naked women. I though the naked men was disgusting...Big old hairy bearded bikers butt naked on their Harley's.
People rolling around in the mud after the rainstorm that rolled through. Skinny Dippers swimming in the pond.
I do remember wondering about how come all of these cops, mostly on Horse Back, were not doing anything about all of the people walking around like Carnival Carney's Selling Drugs???
They were Right out in the open hawking their wares many with Huge Written signs and Banners advertising their products,
Acid, Strawberry Mescaline, Peyote Buttons, Mushrooms, Jamaican Pot, Panama Red, Colombian Gold, Red Bud, Blond Lebanese Hash, Black Afghan, Opium, Cocaine, Black Beauties, Speed, Heroin!
Not only were they selling their Dope, they were freely sharing it with those nearby, including a young wide eyed stoned to the Max 14 year old Kid.
Nate and I had dropped some Dexedrine Speed and some Windowpane LSD. I hallucinated and tripped so hard that I actually though I was in Heaven, Little did I Know That I was actually closer to hell than any live human being could be without actually being there for real.
I think that was the first time that Nate actually attempted to molest me. I wasn't having any part of it...But it was right then and there that I Found out what he was all about.
I guess I made him really Mad, because I didn't see him for awhile after we got home. And my Parents were not very happy either. I was Grounded for a long time.
At some point, Nate came back around and all was forgiven, but their was a lot of weirdness that took place over the next few years. He did succeed a few times after he got me so intoxicated that I wasn't aware of what was going on or I didn't care or couldn't resist. He Did introduce me to my first experience with needles and intravenous drug use. It was very cool back then to use Cocaine but fortunately for me at that point in my life, I didn't do it often enough to get hooked. I really didn't care for needles.
Nate came and went and mostly he stayed Mad at me because I wouldn't give in to his advances, but one time in particular he made a move on me after a party he threw at his apartment and everyone had left and I had crashed in the spare Bedroom. He woke me up trying to crawl into bed with me and I jumped up and told him to get the hell away from me. I got up and attempted to leave. I told him I was going home, and he started beating on me but I was a tough kid from growing up in a tough neighborhood with a lot of street fight victories under my belt. I got the better of him and attempted to get out of the door when He pulled a gun on me, and threatened to kill me if I left...I managed to jump out of a second story window without getting shot and walked home. I never told anyone about what he had done and I especially didn't go to the Police, because the code of honor that I had been raised with... was, that you never narc on someone, no matter what. I was not a Rat!
Nate didn't come around anymore, but ever once in a while he would call me on the phone and tell me he wanted to see me and just talk, but I always refused because I felt that he really planned on murdering me if he got the chance.
His calls started to become more and more frequent for awhile and would always wind up with him telling me he was going to kill himself, a couple of times he even shot his gun into the phone and it would go dead. I knew he was a sick individual and he terrorized me for some time, but then one day at school, someone came up to me and told me that they heard on the News That Nate had shot himself and died behind the Post Office where he worked. He was Dead!!!
In looking back, the strangest sickest part of the whole thing was the fact that I was devastated by the news, not only me, but many of my friends also. Friends that I know for a fact that he had abused them as well. Many of us attended his funeral and cried like babies. I'll never for the life of me understand that.

Wow!!!
That was painful, re-living that. I never ever thought I would or even could tell that story.

I somehow think that God was pleased that I got that off my soul, and I know that some of you already think that I'm crazy but something just happened outside of my window that has never happened before that I am aware of in the several years that we lived here in these Skyrise Apts. Downtown.

I heard a Dove cooing outside, so I crept quietly to the window beside where I am sitting at the computer typing... and the Venetians are almost completely closed. I peeked between the blinds, and their is a mated pair of ring neck mourning doves sitting on the window sill singing.
.....DO YOU THINK MAYBE...PERHAPS....GOD???

WELL I DIDN'T GET VERY MUCH FURTHER INTO MY TESTIMONY BUT I AM EXHAUSTED FROM TELLING ABOUT THAT DEEP DARK SECRET PART OF MY CHILDHOOD...BUT THE WHOLE POINT IN SHARING THAT,... IS TO COME TO UNDERSTAND FOR MYSELF AND FOR THE READER TO REALIZE THAT,... GOD HAS ALWAYS BEEN WATCHING OUT FOR ME... AND PROTECTING ME FROM MYSELF AND FROM OTHERS SO THAT I WOULD HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO ACCEPT HIS PLAN FOR MY LIFE AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...THE LIFE TO COME.

"GOD IS NOT WILLING THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH, BUT THAT ALL WOULD COME TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SAVING GRACE OF CHRIST JESUS THE LORD!" ( my paraphrase)


LOVE
Michael

5 comments:

BethBowling said...

I have to tell you that I was surprised to read what you wrote. I know that I was the one and only person you had ever told about this but I have to tell you that I am so very glad and proud that you finally got it out in the open.I think it has held you back in a way for many many years. I know how extremely hard to was for you. I know from experience that getting it out and releasing it is the best thing you can do. You won't believe how much better you will feel not having this deep dark secret lying inside you. I know it's a thing of embarassment but it's not your fault. It's just a shame the person never got caught. It will help all who know you, understand you and why you were the way you were. Now you are free to be you. I just can't express how happy and proud I am of you to chose to do this. I hope others that read your blog understand how hard it was for you to write it. I also want to say to you> Keep writing. It's a thing of beauty to see you doing what you are meant to do. I feel your written words annd this blog with meant to be.

Cowboy/Rev. said...

My dearest wife of 31 years, The thing I love about you the most, is, you have always encouraged & supported me for most of our lives. I really had to make you mad for you to criticize or condemn me. I believe that you, above anyone else in my life, have modeled unconditional love more than anyone else I've ever known. When I look back on our lives together...No matter how much I've wronged you or hurt you,...You have lavished upon me the exact kind of "LOVE" That is described in the 13th chapter of 1st Corinthians... LOVE "...Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things." "...And now abideth, faith, hope, Love, these three; but the greatest of these is Love."
God knows that I have not deserved the kind of love and devotion that you have given me. My prayer for you and hope is, that God has a special reward, or crown, set aside to present you with, at "His Glorious Appearing!" I know in my heart of hearts that there will never be anything that I can do in this life, that would be a sufficent reciprocity, or "Quid Pro Quo". ...If goodness as a wife would qualify you for an entrance into heaven, then surely you would be most deserving...But alas we know, good works will never be enough to get us into Heaven,... Jesus said, "that no one cometh unto the Father, except through me (JESUS)." My hope is that from this day forward...I might live the rest of our lives in such a way that is worthy of the unconditional love that you have given me, and that we spend an eternity in Heaven together where there will be no more pain, crying, or sorrow. Hallelujah
Love
Michael

Aimee said...

It's beautiful to see you and Mom share your love so openly and in a manner respectful of our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm beginning to remember my daddy again. You probably think that I'm shocked to read this posting, but I'm not. I've always known you had a rough life growing up and there were drugs involved. Since I can relate to molestation, it makes me understand why you were punching George in the face in Grandma & Grandpa's front yard over it. I still don't know how you reacted to Rachel's oldest brother, I don't even remember his name anymore. I have long since let go of all of that. I don't have any emotion attached to any of it. I don't feel sad about it or anything, it's strange. When I tell people so matter of factly what I went through on those few occassions they react like it was the worst thing in the world and throw tons of pity on me, but all I can do is reassure them that it was something that happened to me and I have no guilt over it, I was too young to understand and never felt like I needed to be ashamed of it. From what I understand it happens to alot of kids. Why should we go around ashamed of something we had no control over?! I feel so awful though that you have been carrying around guilt all these years. What you went through, your parents will be the ones judged for that. They didn't set the example God expected of them. At least that's the way I understand it. How can a 14 year old have any moral compass if it wasn't modeled for them?

Do keep writing. A friend of mine that read your blog asked me yesterday if you were an author. She said she was reading your blog at 11 at night, and should have been in bed, and that she found herself unable to turn away from your writing because it was so poetic and well written. It is your gift, Dad! Writing this is going to be a spiritual journey for you. It's really all the therapy you need. I think the reason why you aren't able to find out about the pastoral counseling ministry is bc God doesn't want you to go that route. He wants you to write. I've heard many authors and actors talk about their emotional and spiritual journeys while writing or becoming a character. It's a normal, natural process and you'll be a different and better person for it. "He Who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it..."

Love, Aimee

abbasprincess said...

Hey ,
It's Amanda Loretta's Daughter,

I just wanted to thank you for the level of transparency you modeled , one because its something that I have found both of my parents lack, and two because its somewhat inspired me to maybe try and get my mom to share her experiences with god or what not, though I'm not really holding out to much hope with that one but we'll see, plus it is always awesome and encouraging to see what the lord has done for and brought someone else through so again thank you for sharing I truly was blessed by reading this

Cowboy/Rev. said...

Hello Amanda, Thank you so much for your Kind words and the encouragement. Give the glory to God because each and every perfect gift cometh from the Father of Lights, with whom there is no variableness nor shadow of turning. Pride is one of the deadliest of the 7 deadly sins, and many a time, Pride has been my biggest downfall. The Scripture says, "That without Him, we can do nothing"...I don't know if it will be any comfort to you, or even if you know??? I used to be your Mom and Dad's Pastor, and if my memory serves me correctly? and that is a big if, as I grow older, LOL...Rob and Loretta met each other through our church and they were often present at the many impromptu Prayer meetings that we had at the green house on Hayes Park, next door to Mom & Dad Edmonds.God blessed us with the opportunity to minister to most of your family. Especially on your Mothers side. Even your Grandma Margo worshiped and prayed with us often. Sister Margo truly loved the Lord and asked me to pray for your Mom & Dad all the time. Worshipping with your Grandma was quite the experience, especially if she Got The Holy Ghost as she called it...When she did, you had better get out of the way. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not making fun of her, It was all good as they say, because your Grandma truly Loved the Lord, and it showed. I miss her, God rest her soul... Anyways I had the privelage of leading your Mom and Dad to Christ and Water Baptized them both. I also had the blessing of performing their wedding ceremony. I don't know if you will remember or not but you were in our nursery and Sunday School at Praise Baptist. I hope that it will also comfort you when I tell you that as much as mortal man can judge, I believed that your Mom and Dad's Salvation experience was real and sincere, Even though there present life styles would cause you to doubt it. Don't...I was there, and believe it or not your Dad was always asking a lot of questions at our Bible studies and always appeared to enjoy singing songs of Praise and worship. We sang a lot back then. I can even remember your Mom & Dad going with us downtown to Bronson Park on some of our evangelistic missions when we would go to teh park with singers and guitars and have church right out in the open. I remember that after we got done with a time of singing and worship we would sometimes have quite the crowd that gathered and I would climb up on a picnic table or the fountain with mt Bible in hand and preach Christ and how he had died for us all...It all seems so long ago now But our little church was known for stirring up quite a commotion in our community. believe it or not, your Dad even went with us many time to picket the Abortion Mills around Michigan and he Participated in our Operation Rescue events and got arrested with us when we blocked the doors at Planned Parenthood. We always called it Planned Barrenhood, The Butcher Shop, or The Abortuary. Your Mom and Dad both wre very active in our Pro-Life Activism Ministries. I'm almost sure that I have some video tapes with newscast footage showing your Dad being dragged away by the police and your Mom and Dad went with us to Grand Rapids and chained themselves together with Kryptonite locks in front of an Abortion Mill there. I am pretty sure that I have video footage of that too. Our Church was among one of the most loved or most hated churches in the area. I have a lot of the old news clippings from newspapers and I'm sure that you with all your computer skills and knowledge could probably dig some of that stuff up on the internet if you had a mind to. It may spark some good old memories in Rob and Loretta's heart if you reminded them of those times when they were younger and loved and served God. And if you don't mind my asking Amanda, and even if you do,...What is the condition of your Soul today? You cant get into Heaven when you die on your Grandma Margo's coat tails...God Loves you girl and wants to heal you of all that pain you are in. I have no knowledge one way or the other in regards to your own personal salvation experience...None But I do know from my own personal experience and most Importantly from what the Bible says...That every person born on this earth must one day give an account based on one thing...Have you personally Accepted Jesus for your very own Savior? Have you, been Born Again? It has nothing to do with how good we have been or how much we may have suffered at the hands of others that gets us a ticket into heaven. It has nothing to do with how bad or wicked we've been or the wrong things that we have done or may do that sends us to hell. It really has nothing to do with us getting what we deserve. Jesus Himself said, That none of us can come to the Father except through Him. Jesus is the truth the life and the way. There is no other mediator between God and man except for the Man Christ Jesus our Lord. Do you Know him Personally my dear girl? Ihope and pray that you do...And if you don't or you are not sure...then please, please settle it once and for all and dont let another moment pass by because I'm sure you already know that we have no guarantee of tomorrow. Wow Amanda, I think we both got in deeper than we bargained for when we engaged in this brief dialogue...God loves you and so do I. I've known you since the day you were born. I even knew of you when you were growing inside your mothers womb. If I can be of any help or service to you in any way...Please feel free to call upon me at any time. I would be glad to talk.

Love
Michael